Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Grand Llama Migration

For the first time during my three weeks in Peru I witnessed the enchanting, smelly, and oft spitting mammal (whose outline blesses all things tourist about Peru): the llama.

I was moved. A herd of 20 were being quickly directed past our school and into the mountains nearby. While I knew little about Peru´s treasured 4 legged beast I knew one thing, keep those sunglasses on. Thank goodness for the Synder Quality Llamas Brochure I recently read on the internet. From this quick read I feel I may harness the ability to herd llama´s in my free time. Maybe I´ll swing the idea by Claire and try to get a couple for our apartment next year. A few gems from the guide:

¨Before attempting any procedure which requires handling untrained Ilamas you will want to put on leather boots to protect the
top of your feet from injury if a llama accidentally steps on them with its hard toenails. Light gloves will protect your hands from incidental
scrape, and sunglasses or other protective eyewear will allow you to face a llama unflinchingly in the unlikely event of threatened spitting

That´s cool, I tend to wear my sunglasses at night, during the day, and especially when around fuzzy wuzzy llamas.

¨Llamas instinctively oppose any pressure you apply against their body. It may be valuable to realize that pushing a Ilama to the
right will usually result in it leaning to the left.
¨

So like backing up a trailer.

¨Catching a llama in a large field usually requires several people. ¨

Bring a friend!

For more lessons in the art of the llama click the link above.

No comments: