Thursday, July 23, 2009

Whirlwind Tour

Greetings from Pisco, Peru. We are in a community of about 80,000 that is still recovering from a 7.1 earthquake in 2007 that left much of the city in ruins. We saw temporary housing as we came in and many buildings show obvious damage from the quake. I've been busy during my extended vacation, hitting the beaches north of Trujillo and riding down dunes face first next to the desert oasis of Huacachina. As much as I brag about how great Oregon is these dunes were easily twice the size of those in and around Florence. Tomorrow we leave at 7 a.m. for Paracas National Wildlife Refuge where if we are lucky and the waters are calm we will take a boat ride around Islas Ballestas. If I don't make it up to Ecuador on this trip at least I will get the chance to see Peru's version of the Galapagos Islands. More later. I pick Claire up from the airport in 2 days!


YES!

No comments: