Thursday, July 2, 2009

One Last Day in Sapallanga

Well, three weeks in class comes to a close tomorrow when Becky and I have the fifth and sixth graders for one last time. The principal has informed us of a going away party at noon and afterward we pack our bags and head out to Pucara. Pucara is a town about 15 minutes away from Sapallanga, a little higher up in the Andes moutains, and a little farther from Huancayo. It´s been a good experience so far, like most travelers I´ve had my bouts of homesickness and food poisoning, especially following bad ice cream or after some chewy guinea pig.

Midterm report: I am having a great time and I feel that the trip has been beneficial for the kids in the classroom. We have introduced multiple programs that their teachers hadn´t even considered opening and brought to both the teachers and students attention the importance of technology in the advancement of not only Peruvian children but children everywhere. Today Becky had some great points when talking to the teachers about how everyone gets frustrated with technology but with some patience and some devotion it can be both beneficial and a great tool. She even mentioned to the kids that if they work hard with programs like Turtle Art, Etoys, and Scratch, they could one day make movies like Transformers 2 or Ice Age 3. It´s really about using these computers to put things in perspective for these kids. They do have a chance.

I´ve included a video of a few of the kids jumping rope today after class. I don´t think I ever really liked kids before this trip, I´ll miss the kids from Miraflores, even the banshees of segundo grado.



Another video


This video is from the first week. One of the girls brought her puppy to school and was keeping it in her sweater.

No comments: